Whistler Cup 20th Anniversary
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012
The Whistler Cup is an international children's ski race. This will be the 20th anniversary of this annual Whistler event. The Whistler Cup is open to athlete's ages 11 to 14 years. The race is held over 3 days from April 6-8 and sees almost 400 kids from around the globe compete in 3 different ski race disciplines. As well as the athletes there are over 300 volunteers who will be working for a week to make this event a success.
This is a great opportunity to see the world's fastest juvenile racers, some of whom hope to compete in future winter Olympics. Former Whistler Cup participants have included Lindsay Vonn, Julia Mancuso, Anja Paerson, Tina Maze, and Benjamin Raich and many more.
The races take place on Whistler Mountain over the three days. The courses will be on the Dave Murray and Ptarmigan runs.
On Friday there will be an opening ceremony parade in the Whistler Village Square from 5pm to 6pm. On Sunday, be sure to check out the awards ceremony on the stage in the Whistler Village Square from 5.30pm to 6.30pm. This is a great chance to see who is going to be the rising stars in alpine skiing in the future.
Below is the schedule of events for the 2012 Whistler Cup event.
Friday, April 6
- Kinder I kombi - Upper Dave Murray - 10 a.m.
- Kinder II super-G - Raven, Ptarmigan - 10 a.m.
- Parade - Whistler Village - 5 p.m.
- Opening ceremony, awards - Village Square - 5.30 p.m.
Saturday, April 7
- Kinder I / II women's giant slalom - Raven, Ptarmigan - 9:30 a.m.
- Kinder I / II men's slalom - Upper Dave Murray - 9:30 a.m.
- Awards banquet - Conference Centre - 7 p.m.
Sunday, April 8
- Kinder I / II men's giant slalom - Raven, Ptarmigan - 9:30 a.m.
- Kinder I / II women's slalom - Upper Dave Murray - 9:30 a.m.
- Awards ceremony - Village Square - 5:30 p.m.
For more information and race results visit Whistler Cup.
The Adara Whistler Hotel wishes all these young athletes the best of luck for the weekend!
Are you looking for a whistler village hotel for your spring skiing vacation?
The Adara Whistler Hotel is located in the heart of Whistler Village, just steps away from the lifts, restaurants and shops.
For more information or to make a booking, please contact our friendly reservation staff.